Understanding Our Investment Philosophy
We're guided by what's best for our clients
We believe that our investment philosophy of diversifying quality investments and holding them for the long-term best serves our clients when it comes to meeting their financial goals.
Clients: Our sole focus
How do we help individual investors meet their goals? By taking the time to listen - really listen - about what's important to them and their families. Helping individual investors achieve their long-term financial goals is our sole focus.
And the extensive support and resources we provide you ensure that you can serve each client's unique needs. One resource you'll have is our established 5-Step Asset Management Process.
By working through our 5-Step Process, you can:
- Help assess your client's tolerance for risk
- Create a quantifiable, actionable financial goal for the client to work toward
- Recommend investments and strategies that support and align with the client's goals
- Review the client's progress toward his or her goals
You may hear us talking about solutions-based advice
To us, this means helping clients achieve their financial goals by understanding their needs and then recommending and implementing tailored solutions.
The needs we can help clients meet
Though all clients are different, we've identified five primary client needs for which we can provide solutions-based advice.
- Preparing for Retirement
- Living in Retirement
- Paying for Education
- Preparing for the Unexpected
- Planning Your Estate
Our comprehensive product and services offerings support our solutions-based approach.
Finding appropriate investments for our clients
Our investment philosophy can also be characterized by what we won't do. For example, we discourage clients from owning stock priced under $4 per share. We don't sell options or derivatives. And our Research department typically provides research opinions only for companies that have long, stable operating histories.
To us, helping clients plan for their financial future is about well-informed choices and long-term planning, and frankly, some investments and strategies don't fit our philosophy. We don't recommend:
- Penny stocks, derivatives - Instead of gambling with these high-risk vehicles, our goal is to help clients buy quality investments and hold them for the long-term
- Young, unproven companies - Stable companies with proven track records are the ones we feel most confident suggesting to our clients
- Timing the market - Trying to time the market to make a fast buck is what we call gambling, not investing
- Online trading - We want our clients to invest, not trade. Often, online trading encourages frequent trading and rash decision making. It's been proven to us that a long-term investment strategy is one of the soundest ways to help achieve financial goals
We hold a straightforward philosophy: The best way to provide personal, individualized investment advice and services to our clients is to meet with them one-on-one to build lasting relationships. We do business this way because years of experience have convinced us it's the best way to help our clients achieve their goals.
Edward Jones isn't a publicly traded company
This means we're not beholden to shareholders or committed to quarterly projections. It also means we can stay focused on what is and will always be the most important thing: offering quality investments that are in our clients' best interests.
You'll help others reach retirement
Don't forget about your own. Understand our compensation structure and be sure to plan for your own retirement.Learn more
Bonuses are always good
It's especially true when you're beginning. You'll have the opportunity for several bonuses during the first few years as you build your practice.Learn more
Our work benefits our clients and communities
Our Financial Advisors actively serve clients and also volunteer for others in their communities. They find both rewarding and important.Learn more