When you’re about to lose steam
We’ve all been there – depleted by tiredness, overwork, lack of exercise, poor eating habits and even discouragement. And, we know that an easy fix of a good night’s sleep won’t further our career.
What is your next step? Why don’t you grab a pen and paper or your iPad and start deciding how you will get from "here" to "there?" There are many formal plans you can look at online. Below are some general points to think through.
- In a sentence, what do you want to accomplish?
- By when do you want to accomplish it? Set a date (month/year).
- What resources do you need? (Could be coaching, mentors, a new suit, technology, etc.)
- Can you improve your personal brand (your professional image)?
- How is your online image?
- Are you involved with community service/volunteering?
- How is your continued education? Are there any seminars available to attend?
- Do you have each detail outlined with actions steps?
- Have you used available recruiting resources?
- Are you looking at the right companies or even the right industry that matches your aspirations and skills?
- What are your long-term career and post-career goals? (It’s never too soon to set a retirement goal.)
Once you’ve re-evaluated and reorganized your goals, you should be able to face each networking event and interview meeting with renewed confidence and focus. Your career is waiting.