Operations Co-op Program
Perform meaningful work that prepares you for your career and makes a difference in clients' lives.
Opportunities for sophomores and above
Apply Concepts You're Learning
As a Business, Accounting and Finance major, you can put your analytical skills to work building professional relationships and gaining real-life experience in the financial services industry.
Your work will put you on the front lines of client service as you interact directly with clients and branch teams in ways that support the firm's commitment to delivering an ideal client experience.
This cooperative education (co-op) program integrates a career experience with your schooling. By working in a role that uses skills you have learned in school during the same semester that you take classes, you can immediately apply and sharpen your skills. The flexible co-op schedule allows you to comfortably balance both work and school.
About the Co-op Opportunity
- Paid opportunity
- 20 hours minimum per week
- Minimum of a 14-week program
- Work in the Edward Jones St. Louis home office or Tempe
- Openings monthly September through January
About the Work You Will Do
You will work within the firm's Operations division, which is dedicated to providing branch teams with clear, timely and accurate information, and processing account transactions that help fulfill clients' financial needs.
There are opportunities in three areas in Operations:
Retirement Services Department
- Works with branch teams to provide service and operational support for clients with retirement accounts
- Students will research and answer branch inquiries, complete reports to ensure timely completion of transactions, and review/process documents authorizing transactions requested by clients or branch teams
- Start dates available August and September
Tax Hotline Department
- Works with branch teams regarding IRS 1099 forms sent to clients during tax season
- Students will research and answer branch and client inquiries, provide exceptional client service and gain an understanding of basic tax reporting
- Start dates available December and January
Cost Basis Department
- Provides reporting and service regarding the cost basis of clients' securities
- Students will research and update client cost basis and review/verify the cost basis reporting on IRS 1099 forms, or research and answer branch and client inquiries
- Start dates available September through January
Who Should Apply
The most rewarding opportunities are those that carefully match the person with the position. Check out the criteria for applying, and get started.
We look for students who meet these criteria:
- Currently enrolled in your sophomore year or higher
- Motivated, results-oriented
- Business, Accounting and Finance major
- Minimum GPA 2.7
- Skilled in analytics, leadership, communication, teamwork and client service
- Relevant experience and leadership or participation in student organizations is a plus
- Able to commit to at least 14 consecutive weeks of work
- Eligible to work in the U.S.
Support and Development
From your first day on the job, you will receive one-on-one support and development opportunities from leaders, mentors and peers.
Get a jump-start on your career!
We do things differently here at Edward Jones, and that includes how we train and support co-op participants.
Your direct leader will help you understand your day-to-day responsibilities, monitor your progress, and help you succeed in your objectives.
You will have the opportunity to work with a career mentor, an associate who exemplifies a strong and healthy work ethic. Your career mentor will:
- Help you understand the firm's culture, values and behaviors common to fellow Edward Jones associates
- Provide guidance for professional development and career plans
- Create awareness of and involvement in activities outside of rotations or final placement
You will work together to develop a presentation to share ideas and solutions for a real business objective.
The Speaker Series is an opportunity for co-op participants to hear a principal and/or veteran associate speak about his or her area of expertise. These are informal sessions that provide insight into the functions of each division in the firm.
You will participate in activities that help you prepare for the next steps on your career path. In workshops, we review your résumé with you and conduct mock interviewing.
Meet Us on Campus
Want to meet Edward Jones in person? Check out the career offices at the following schools to find out when we'll be on campus.
St. Louis Campus
- University of Missouri–St. Louis
- Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
- Fontbonne University
- Webster University
- Lindenwood University
- Maryville University
- Grand Canyon University
- Benedictine University
Take the Next Step – Start the Application Process
If you're interested in starting your career with a financial services leader, follow these steps.
If you're interested in participating in the Operations Division Co-op, follow these steps:
- Visit your Career Services office to find out when Edward Jones will conduct on-campus interviews. We have specific target schools at which we recruit year-round.
- Submit your résumé through your university's Career Services site for consideration. On-campus interviews will take place in late September through October for spring semester start dates and March through April for fall semester start dates.
- Candidates selected for interviews will be asked to complete an application on the Edward Jones Careers site.
- Offers will be extended to students at least a month before their start date.
Want more information? We've compiled some Frequently Asked Questions about our internships, co-ops and Rotational Development Program.